Sunday, January 8, 2012

Pan-Seared Beef Tenderloin with Balsamic Onions and Port Sauce

As mentioned in my last post I was desperate for inspiration for GF meals when I came across Shauna 's recipe book. I used the 'potato puree' and the 'pan-seared beef tenderloin with balsamic onions and port sauce' recipes to make Alex dinner on Saturday. The tenderloin recipe calls for veal stock but I have a thing against cooking with animal bones (creeps me out) so I just omitted it form the recipe altogether. I'm sure it changed the taste of the dish comparatively but it didn't matter what we ate that night was beyond amazing. 

A few lessons learned:

1) When I was shopping for the ingredients I spent quite a bit of time talking with the butcher. If you don't have a relationship with the butcher where you shop you should start one. They are generally super friendly and happy to share their vast knowledge about meat. My butcher looked over my recipe, gave me suggestions and cooking tips and then cut me a piece of meat on the spot to meet my needs. He's a pretty rad guy. 

2) Beef tenderloin = filet mignon.

3) Port and Marsala (Marsala will be used in one of the upcoming recipes!) will both be found in the dessert wine section of your grocery store. Which made this dessert wine lover super happy, leftover wine in my cup? Yes please.

4) I need to invest in a splatter cover. I'm not sure if these even exist, Google searching will commence. But I really dislike ruining clothing and getting hot oil everywhere while cooking.


Anyhow, if you want a date-night recipe to impress this is the one! 

This recipe is a bit more expensive then the regular go to recipes but it's so worth it. Just make sure you allot enough time to put some TLC into this recipe.





Sorry about the crappy end product photo, I was starving by this time and the lighting was bad but hey at least there is one!



Ash

No comments:

Post a Comment